Before I became CEO of the Santee Chamber, I had several other job titles here. It took me a while to realize how unimportant these titles were, with no disrespect intended for my current position… it was just semantics. Our Chamber is advised by a Board of Directors who meet monthly but also host annual retreats. At a retreat over a year ago, I proposed an idea of focusing back on some core basics as a chamber, calling them our five pillars. I’ve had to remind myself often that these five pillars matter as they give us purpose, direction and hope for our future. A simple reminder of those came to me again while listening to one of our Board members speak to a lunch crowd this past week. Kyle Whissel of Whissel Realty has been a prime example in my life of how to leverage your goals and personal relationships into business successes. Realistically, the man can sell ice to an eskimo, but I absolutely admire how he can take something simple and make it massive in all the right ways. It grounded me to hear him give honest tips to our Santee Young Professionals (SYP) crowd and made me want to communicate in a more direct manner, in hopes to get better results from my own relationships in town.
These Chamber pillars were going to be used as a measuring tool when deciding on when/where/what to be involved in and the types of offerings we wanted to produce through our organization. With that being said, I am going to be concentrating our Weekly Update emails towards those five pillars. They are as follows:
- Products & Services for Members: Focused events for business networking and professional development, office space rentals and advertising streams such as the Weekly Update, Chamber Website and The Santee Magazine.
- Community Enhancement: Public events geared towards Santee’s demographics which provide a high quality of life, updates on local non-profit organizations, parks and recreation offerings.
- Economic Development: A hub for job postings and career advancement opportunities, referrals of promotions, sales and deals of our business members, development updates of new and closing businesses around town.
- Legislative Advocacy: Chamber Government Affairs meetings including updates from our elected officials in the region as well as City Council updates with previous meeting minutes, upcoming agendas and meeting reminders.
- Business Resources: Connections to regional reports and workshops with local agencies such as the SBA, SBDC and East County Economic Development Council along with updates and program offerings from utility companies.
If these things also interest you and you’d like to support the Santee Chamber in our journey: Stay tuned, give back, share your stories and most importantly, keep us up to date on what matters to you so we can help you along the way.